Working Hard, or Hardly Working?

Hello World,

In response to my title, I'd like to think it's the first one (working hard). I've counted it out, and I only have 9 official working days left while I'm here! How did this even happen. Also, because of hard working, there are perhaps less exciting pictures to share with you this time.

So to start this past week off us interns, thanks to the hospitality of Vicky and Lin, had ourselves a pre-Christmas party. It wasn't necessarily meant to be a festive event, but it was nice hanging out with everyone outside the work environment and remembering that it is a festive season. I realize that there is one week left until Christmas, but it's not feeling like that here. I think I'm grateful for this, because while I have Christmas plans, I think it will lessen the amount I'll miss being home and with family for the holidays.

Christmas Letter!
Speaking of Christmas though! A special surprise arrived for me this week in the mail! A "Thank you!" to my Aunt Linda for sending me a Christmas card while abroad. Yes, you all know my address now, feel free to send me things. I have to warn you though, I doubt they will get here in time :(. I also saw quite a few people dressed up in santa outfits, many with the beard and everything, walking around Venice Sunday morning. It is my belief, based on the numbers pinned to their backs, that they were doing some sort of holiday run in the city, but I had to keep walking to work and never did find out. It was a fun thing to come across though.

And yes - I have officially become a private tour guide! So the work life is going fabulously. It was a pretty small tour that I gave, about 8 people in total from Eton College. Not going to lie to you, knowing about Eton College made me a little bit nervous at first about who I'd be speaking with. Ultimately it was a group of some very nice guys who knew very little about art history, but seemed genuinely interested in learning more about it. It's honestly the best when you get a group of people who ask you questions (questions I was capable of answering even!), because it means they're actually listening to what you're saying, engaging, and actually learning something. Also, at least maybe, I inspired some people to look more into art of the life of Peggy Guggenheim. First tour success! I have another one already this evening!

Best pic they could get, because there
were so many people!
The same day as this tour I was giving I had a second 30 min talk about out temporary exhibit Mystical Symbolism. This is a talk given for free to the public, I've done it before, wasn't too nervous for it. However, December is an exceptionally slow month at the Guggenheim and recently interns, including myself, have been having trouble getting people to show up to our talks. Part of this is due to the fact that we can only give the tour in one language, so it automatically excludes some visitors. To my surprise, I got a huge crowd!

This was a really nice way to to have my final 30 min talk of my internship. It also went very smoothly, and I again had many people coming up to me afterwards asking questions about the art and exhibition themes. I mean to say I had at least a 10 minute discussion with someone about feminism in the art world at the turn of the 19th century.

Cranium Miming!
The last thing I have to talk about are the seminar nights we've been having! Every intern is required to give a 30 minute seminar to fellow interns and staff during the last month of their internship. We do this after work, and it's so interesting hearing about everyone's diverse backgrounds. I will be giving mine this week (wish me luck!), but we heard from seven other already. We've talked about gender inequality, decaying manor houses, hippies, and teaching art in Nepal (among many other things). It has really shown me many new sides to the people that I'm working with and inspired me to keep going in this field. The amount everyone has managed to do, or is currently doing, is astounding. And truly diverse backgrounds, and different things that stick out as major interests for everyone working here.

For example, take a look at the picture I added (taken in the Museum's library). One of the interns was giving a talk based on her background in education. We were learning about personality types and learning styles and it culminated in a game very similar to the board game cranium, in case anyone knows what that game entails. I have to admit, I think our version was a little harder. The photo given here is me having to mime "Stuck in an elevator with Max Ernst." Sadly my teammates did not get it, they knew I was stuck in an elevator, but not with who. Granted, I had very little ability to help them along to this conclusion, but it was definitely a fun time.

Since much  of this past week was spent studying and preparing for my tours I'm afraid that's all I've got to share with you this week! I'll be going on a trip outside Venice again tomorrow so check back to see what happens!

Until next time. A dopo

Caitlin

Comments