The Guggenheim!

Hey there world,

It's been about a week and I'm posting again! Glad to see I am keeping it up, but it's definitely been more difficult finding the time now that I have started work. I'll try to pick up where I left off.

My last day before work I wanted to relax and get away from the tourist areas. Despite its being low-season, there are still quite a few of them in Venice. I would highly recommend you not visit during the summer if given another option. Back to my story though. I was also running low on money, so not planning on paying for anything unnecessary until I received my November stipend from the PGC. The perfect solution? I walked down to the gardens.

Yeo Chee Kiong
Carole Feuerman

I giardini

I will go back for the Biennale, but just walking around was so nice. They are beautiful, quiet, sunny, and there are places to sit (something consistently in short supply here). Before sitting down I stopped into two free gardens related to the Biennale to see some wonderful art (above). I can't wait to get in and enjoy the rest of the Biennale later this month.

After making it through all the sculpture gardens I picked a nice spot near the water and sat down to spend my morning reading. It was wonderful. It might be my favorite place in Venice.


Starting work the next day went pretty well too - finally got to meet the other interns! (hi guys, if you're reading this!) Everyone working there is SO nice, and we're from all sorts of countries. I know this will be an incredible experience, despite the large amount of information to try and figure out. Having worked there now a few days I can say  it's hard work, lots of standing, and a lot of learning moments.

The interns first day!
The first thing I realized I was missing was a watch. I cannot stress enough how much a watch is needed for this job, because timing is everything. I love my new watch. It's very pretty, Murano glass, and one of the few souvenirs I think I'll get myself. Backing up a bit, to do this I first needed the money so I can now let you know that banks in Venice are quite nice, the people are friendly, and there wasn't a huge wait. Not sure about the rest of the country, but I was highly satisfied with my experience. 

A lot of my time is spent guarding the galleries, and while I may not like standing for so long, being around such beautiful art every day is something I want for the rest of my life. Also being in the museum with no visitors is a super cool experience you should all wish you could have. Having six Jackson Pollock's all to yourself for an hour is like nothing else.

View from the PGC roof. If you visit you are not allowed here
so enjoy the picture
And I moved in finally!!! There is still one roommate I have yet to meet, Sara, but Elisa and Paolo are here and great people to chat with. I'm really getting to practice my Italian living with them, and trying my hand at grocery stores and cooking. The downfall to my room is the current lack of heating. Granted, it's generally not below the 50s here so I am not freezing, but it's also not the kind of weather where you're very willing to leave the covers to go change clothes in. Thank goodness for blankets and my new sweater. Otherwise it is perfect. I have a lot of space, a room to myself, a big kitchen, and it's a 30 minute walk or vaporetto ride from work. Not to mention finally unpacking my backpack was a very satisfying experience.

I <3 my new room


I have surprised myself by looking forward to my morning walks to work. It's a time when Venice is still a bit quiet, and I feel so healthy living here. I might not be 'working out' but I'm probably healthier than I have been in awhile. Honestly anything I need is about walking distance all the time in Venice, even a McD's if I'm desperate for some America. I do take the vaporetto back in the evening because my feet hurt from standing all day, and its dark out. I kind of hate the vaporetto system though. I get that it should make sense, but it really doesn't to me. I think I've only made it where I want to go through pure luck. I'm hoping that if I just try using it enough times, then things will eventually make more sense. 
OR there are days like today when it rains, and walking sounds like the worst idea imaginable. The weather has been holding up so far, today was the first rain I've seen, but November is the rainiest month in Venice and I'm intrigued to experience the acqua alta. 

My tips for walking around Venice (when you don't know where you are):

1. Follow the signs. There are a lot of signs in Venice pointing you in the direction of major locations, even far from those locations. You will eventually get where you want to go. 

2. Follow the people. This is primarily helpful during the day/early evening. Because Venice is such a tourist-y city there will be a lot of people going to the same places you are. Pack mentality is good here. Worst case scenario, you end up in a place with lots of people, and you can follow tip 3.

3. Ask people for directions. Again, Venice is a tourist heavy place. Either fellow tourists can help you, or Venetians who often speak English and are very used to helping lost visitors can. Really, just ask someone at the nearest shop and they are 97% likely to be able to help you. 

4. Have a map. I say this cautiously, because you don't want to make yourself a target for thieves by whipping that map out in public. But have one with you with a line from where you're staying to the nearest major attraction  (i.e. Rialto) and nearest vaporetto stop. And plan your route to where you are going. If you know generally the direction you need to take, and certain points along the way you can use to confirm you're on the right path, you can wing it. 


And finally, last night the group of interns went out for dinner! It was at a delicious pizzeria called Due Collone, I would highly recommend if near the Rialto. I got to know a few of the older interns which was splendid. We chatted about food and politics and environmental issues. It's nice to finally be around a group of people I can bond with for longer than a few days.

I've got a day off tomorrow so I plan on finally taking a quick break! Then I've got an intern trip in Venice and a few other things planned. Plus a lot of firsts here, like laundry. Until next time! A dopo

Caitlin

Comments