Home at Last

Hello World,

This is the last time I'll be writing to you. Hopefully it's not the end of my blogging career, but it is the end of my Italy trip, and therefore the end of "Stopping by Venice." Thank you to everyone who's been following my adventure, I wish you all the best of 2018s, and enjoy hearing about Florence and Rome below! There was a lot of art.

I left bright and early on the 1st of January to Florence. It wasn't as sad as I expected it to be leaving Venice, but there's something to be said for having equally exciting things to do ahead of you. The hostel I stayed in, Hostel Archie Rossi, was really lovely. It was a bigger hostel, but had everything I needed and included a free breakfast. This is something I greatly appreciated as I was still dealing with an unsettled stomach the first two days there and all I wanted was tea and toast. Not things one can easily buy out and about.

Florence Cathedral, with the Duomo, spectacular as always
Florence was by far my favorite part of the trip. Considering what I've studied in art history it felt much like a pilgrimage. I can't possibly tell you everything I did either. I was there a total of three days, so bought the FirenzeCard. I highly recommend this if you are going to be in Florence three days (which is a number of days I also highly recommend). It cost a pretty sum of money, 72 euro, but got me into all of the museums I wanted to go to in the city, and in many places allowed me to skip the line for priority access. I can imagine that would be especially nice in the summer months. With how many places I went to, the card more than paid for itself, even if the entry to each museum was only 4 euro, which was not the case.

I saw the major sites like Accademia for Michelangelo's David (wow) and the Uffizi with some Botticelli (Primavera, Birth of Venus) and a Leonardo exhibit. The Leonardo was especially interesting as it only just now came on view after 6 years restoration. It looks totally different. The San Marco museum was a highlight as well. I didn't know what was there, just visiting as many places as I could, and found the Fra Angelico paintings. It is also where Savonarola took up residence while he took over Florence. And a lovely library space. In general I would always go back to see a monastery location. Not something to be found in the US and beautiful spaces.

La Primavera, Botticelli, 1482, at Uffizi 
David, Micheangelo, 1504, at Accademia














The Medici Chapels were amazing. Palazzo Medici a bit less so. That being said, the Medici coat of arms was absolutely everywhere. I felt weird when I was in Rome not seeing it when I went places. For those of you who do not know who the Medici are I think you should look them up - a fascinating bunch. Santa Maria Novella was the biggest part of my pilgrimage. There I got to see Masaccio's Trinity fresco - a painting which I have done a lot of research on, and used said paper for all my college applications. It has a special place in my heart. Santa Croce was lovely for seeing the tombs of Galileo, Michelangelo, and Dante.

Fangirl with Masaccio Trinita, 1428, at Santa Maria Novella
I could talk about Florence forever, it holds a special place in my heart after only three days, but for now I will move on to Rome! I was nervous about going back, because my memories of it were all a bit clouded by the anxiety of the first 24 hours alone in a foreign country for the first time. It has won me back to it's side. I also believe that my ability to get around without getting lost was greatly improved from that first night.

I never got an Italian phone or SIM card, so I was without data the whole time I was in Italy. Unless I was in a a building with WiFi (hostel/apartment/PGC) I couldn't contact people or use google maps to direct me, which is a bit startling when you don't realize how accustomed you are to having those things available to you. I was very nervous the first bit, but I think everyone should do this (maybe a bit less recommendable if you don't speak the language of the country you're in, but life is about taking chances sometimes). It forced me to ask actual people for directions, to really see the cities that I was in and learn how to get around easily and independently, which helped me feel like a greater participant in the cities.

Mangasia, at Palazzo delle Esposizione
I digress. Back to Rome! I didn't do many typical while-in-Rome activities to be honest. I did go see the
Colosseum again, check out the Pantheon and threw a coin into the Trevi Fountain (didn't meet any Italian pop stars, unfortunately), but on the whole I enjoyed it as  a major world city with interesting art exhibits instead. For example, my favorite part was an exhibit on Katsushika Hokusai at the Ara Pacis museum. FABULOUS. And it included a lot of works I have personally studied/would like to continue studying in the future. This happened again at the Palazzo delle Esposizione where I saw Mangasia, a exhibit discussing the evolution of comics in Asia (so not just Japan, but also China, India, Sri Lanka, Phillipines, Korea, the whole South/Southeast of the continent).

Lots of Asia at in Rome, and a Picasso exhibit to boot. Also the weather was lovely. In the 60s. Being back in New England with lots of snow around is quite different. And the plane rides back (layover in Paris) were much better this time around. Dramamine works wonders.

I am now back home. For my first meal my parents and I grabbed some 5 Guys and I enjoyed that
5 Guys! 'Merica
burger/fries/milkshake more than many I've had before in my life. I'm already all unpacked, which is the magic of traveling carry-on only (something else I think everyone should be doing. It is possible, I promise!). And I'm excited to celebrate a mini, belated Christmas tomorrow. This has been an unforgettable experience, filled with so many lifelong friendships, crazy memories, and lots and lots of art. I've grown a lot as a person, particularly in trusting my judgment calls and a general sense of calmness in stressful situations.

This has all been amazing, but I won't say it was all easy. Really, I have a very anxious personality type, so many things caused me stress, but facing that and seeing how things still turn out well is the important part. So I'll leave you with this: Always face your fears - you get the best stories, the best friends, and the best experiences that way. And always keep travelling.

Arrivederci,
Caitlin

Comments