All Done at the Guggenheim

Hello World,

A lot has changed since my last post. Primarily that I am no longer living in Venice, and no longer working at the Guggenheim. My journey has gone by very fast.

The last week was mostly relaxed - I only had one talk left to give. I'll admit that not having work to do in the evenings anymore really threw me through a loop. Having free time? What? What is that? Now I have oodles! I was, however, given the position of editor to the interns 'magazine.' It's a little something made by the interns for the interns with goofy, interesting articles relating to the museum in some way. It's a nice memorabilia to bring home, but being the editor was no piece of cake.

Particularly being the editor for the end of December, when everyone is concerned about Christmas plans and not museum magazine deadlines, is a challenge. I got through it though! I got it in in time for printing, and the articles were all quite interesting. I think I would have liked to do more with it in terms of formatting, but I'm proud of what I did accomplish given my constraints.

What a group!
These were then given out to all the interns at out Festa Fine Mese! If you recall from a few blog posts back, this is the party we hold at the museum at the end of each month to say goodbye to those leaving us. This month it was me! :O It was nice having a chance to relax with friends and reflect on my time at the museum. I also got little notes from everyone. and a couple (small) gifts from the museum shop.

I think on the whole this is how I'm feeling about leaving: Definitely relieved I'm that much closer to being home again, Sad that I don't know when I'll see any of these amazing friends I made, or Venice, again, and very thankful that I had this opportunity and have so many new memories to hold onto. And to put the photo into some context, we choose themes for each of our festa's. This month's theme was Mystical Symbolism, a temporary exhibit at the PGC right now. I would explain it to you here, but it would take me a 1/2 hour. I shall leave you to instead be mystified by our costumes.

Ella and Caitlin
Michelle and Caitlin (plus Mary)


















And my last day. Oh, it is a last day I will never forget. I woke up in the morning to find a few texts in our WhatsApp group saying a few people are throwing up and don't think they can make it in. Bad start. One of these includes our assistant capi. Getting worse. During the day MORE people must leave for sickness! Dropping like flies.

To top it off, this is the last day of the month, so many of the interns who are leaving are no longer even in the country, so we were lacking backup to call in. It was New Years Eve, and we had a good 500 or so more (guestimating) visitors than typical. AND it was training day for the new interns starting in January, so our capi were busy dealing with them and not the museum. Needless to say, everyone was kept very busy the entire work day, some missing food, some bouncing all over the place, and we cancelled all of the talks we normally give during the day (6 total). In the end nine of us made it, with 7 fallen. For a visual I have included images of a normal scheudle, and my last day of work schedule. Observe the black bars of death.
Normal day
Black Death
By that last hour I'll admit to not feeling so great myself. I think I've overcome the sickness through rest, lots of water, and catching it early. So today I'm not feeling too bad. Last night, New Years Eve, I was invited to a party, but decided to stay in. I know, I know, I'm in Venice! On New Years! I should be doing something radical and exciting! But I enjoyed my night in with Star Wars and not making myself so sick I throw up and can't enjoy my vacation week to Florence and Rome. No regrets! Though it would have been a nice last goodbye to some of my friends.

Now I am in Florence, and while there is not too much open on Jan 1st I am glad to be here! I have a fairly intense plan for the coming three days so I can see as much as possible before leaving. I think I planned it out quite well, and think this evening I will explore the city a little bit to check I don't get too easily lost. Always a good goal. You'll hear about my Florence/Rome trip next week! When I'll be back home! Until next time. A dopo

Caitlin


Comments